Following is a partial list of services available to individuals faced with civil, criminal, or domestic disputes:
- Consultation: Initial consultations are offered for a nominal flat fee of $275.00. During this preliminary meeting, discussion focuses on the approaches available to you. Should you file a case or not? If someone has filed a case against you, what are your options? If you are seeking a non-litigious means of resolving a family court dispute, which process would be best for you?
- Representation: In family court cases, you may have the option of choosing a collaborative/cooperative path towards resolution, or traditional litigation. Rates are reasonable and tailored to the case; most cases are assessed at an hourly rate, deducted from the payment of an initial retainer fee.
- Mediation: Whether a case has been filed or not, it is often helpful to meet with a neutral third party (mediator). In many instances, disputes can be resolved without the expense, aggravation and time involved in courtroom litigation. Where cases already have been filed, mediation can lead to resolutions that are more lasting and satisfactory to all parties than what might occur in court.
- Collaborative/Cooperative Law: Separation and divorce can be emotionally and financially draining on all parties, including children. Collaborative and Cooperative Law are relatively new approaches (in Charleston, SC) to resolving disputes, created to give control of the process and outcome to the parties while minimizing the negative impact of separation or divorce on all family members. Parties agree to negotiate a settlement before proceeding to court, often with the assistance of skilled neutrals as a cost-saving and effective tool to resolve all issues in dispute.
- Guardian Ad Litem: If you are seeking to adopt a step-child (or other child) and/or change a child's last name, South Carolina law requires that a Guardian ad Litem be appointed even if there is nobody contesting the adoption/name change. Jill has been certified as a Guardian ad Litem since 2011 and charges competitive rates for these services. Call 843-819-0557 for more information.